[ACLA-CAAL] Short survey on achieving curriculum change through CEFR implementation

Wernicke, Meike meike.wernicke at ubc.ca
Sun Aug 26 23:01:51 UTC 2018

Dear Colleague,

We are contacting you in connection with the QualiCEFR project carried out at the Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE), the University of Toronto, with Enrica Piccardo as principal investigator and myself, CEFR co-author, as co-researcher.  Details about the project are given below.

If you have some familiarity with the CEFR and/or CEFR-related projects, we would like to request that you consider contributing your valuable expertise to the research study by completing a short survey about practices and advice related to achieving change through CEFR implementation. The 40 items come from points made by 44 interviewees in Canada and Switzerland wit experience of CEFR-related projects. We thematically analysed the data from the interviews with NVivo software and selected the main themes for this survey.

Here is the link to the survey: https://lincdire.limequery.org/129713?lang=en

We would appreciate it if you could complete it by 15th September.

We would be really very grateful if you could find the twenty minutes to complete the survey.  If you have any questions or require assistance with the survey, you can contact us directly at bjnorth at eurocentres.com<mailto:bjnorth at eurocentres.com> or enrica.piccardo at utoronto.ca<mailto:enrica.piccardo at utoronto.ca>.

The QualiCEFR Project
QualiCEFR is an international comparative study about CEFR implementation practices in Switzerland and Canada, which employs a Quality Assurance (QA) process as its methodological approach.  Project goals are to facilitate QA-informed CEFR implementation processes, and help support knowledge transfer between countries. The project investigated CEFR-related language policy initiatives in the two contexts in order to identify successful ones. A related project, QualiMatrix (<https://www.ecml.at/ECML-Programme/Programme2016-2019/QualityassuranceandimplementationoftheCEFR/tabid/1870/language/en-GB/Default.aspx>A quality assurance matrix for CEFR use),<https://www.ecml.at/ECML-Programme/Programme2016-2019/QualityassuranceandimplementationoftheCEFR/tabid/1870/language/en-GB/Default.aspx> funded by the European Centre for Modern Languages (ECML) extends the scope of the study beyond Switzerland and Canada and is producing a Quality Assurance matrix to support stakeholders in CEFR implementation.

The project looked at different areas of CEFR implementation (e.g. teacher training, curriculum, assessment, classroom practice) with the aim of identifying the reasons why certain techniques work better than others. Thus, in Phase 1 of the project, 44 education stakeholders in Switzerland and Canada were interviewed, who provided valuable insight on good CEFR implementation practices, success factors and challenges. In Phase 2 the main findings from the interview process were analyzed, summarized and compiled into a list.

As we approach Phase 3, we would like to receive your input on the interview findings. We will then analyze the survey responses, which will complement our previous findings and inform our final results. These survey results will feed into both (a) an executive summary of the project report, in the form of a brief, user-friendly guideline, and (b) the online Quality matrix being produced in the ECML project

Thank you for your collaboration and support.

Best Regards,

Brian North & Enrica Piccardo