[ACLA-CAAL] BCSA Open Letter regarding Congress incident

Talmy, Steven steven.talmy at ubc.ca
Sat Jun 8 17:52:50 UTC 2019

We've heard of "gardening while Black", "taking a nap while Black", and other
instances of "living while Black" in North America:
https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/20/us/living-while-black-police-calls-trnd/index.html

Now we have "attending an academic conference while Black".

But let's flip this: we are also "witnessing Whiteness".

So after reading about race at AAA, join me in (further) inquiring about Whiteness.
Here are some resources to start, are there suggestions for others?

https://www.racialequitytools.org/fundamentals/resource-lists/whiteness-and-white-privilege

http://www.marypendergreene.com/bookshelf/whiteness.php

https://www.zinnedproject.org/?s=whiteness

Some books

White fragility (Robin D'Angelo)

I'm still here (Austin Channing Brown)

Witnessing Whiteness (Shelly Tochluk)

*Steven Talmy, Ph.D.*
Associate Professor

Language & Literacy Education
University of British Columbia
6445 University Blvd
Vancouver, BC, V6T 1Z2, Canada

Territories of the Musqueam, Squamish,
Stó:lō, and Tsleil-Waututh First Nations

Office: Ponderosa Commons, Oak House, 3143

**