[ACLA-CAAL] Call for Papers - Virtual Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching Conference: June 18-19, 2021

Ron Thomson rthomson at brocku.ca
Tue Dec 15 17:13:23 UTC 2020

Dear ACLA/CAAL members,

We hope this finds you well and safe during these challenging times.  As some of you may already be aware, we cancelled the 2020 Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching (PSLLT) conference, which was to be held in Niagara, Canada, and moved it to June of 2021.  It has now become clear that COVID-19 will not be completely under control by then, so we have decided to make PSLLT 2021 a virtual conference. Below, please find a new call for proposals.  The conference website is: https://brocku.ca/psllt-2021/ Please help us spread the word!
CALL FOR PROPOSALS

The 2021 Virtual Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching (PSLLT) Conference (June 18-19, 2021) seeks proposals for presentations related to L2 pronunciation learning and teaching, in all second languages and contexts.  We hope the online nature of the conference will encourage participation from both seasoned participants as well as international L2 pronunciation colleagues who might not normally be able to attend a PSLLT conference in person. If you submitted a proposal for the 2020 PSLLT Conference and did not withdraw the proposal when the conference was delayed, we ask that you resubmit it to the 2021 Virtual PSLLT Conference submission site so we can keep all submissions in a single database.  More information on the virtual platform to be used during the conference will be provided in the coming months.

Note: The next in-person PSLLT conference is planned for 2022 in St. Catharines, Niagara, Canada. (In Ontario, an hour’s drive from both Toronto and Buffalo, NY).

Presentations at the 2021 Virtual PSLLT may be related to second language:
§  segmentals
§  suprasegmentals/prosody
§  intelligibility
§  comprehensibility
§  oral fluency
§  pronunciation teaching methodology/techniques
§  pronunciation learning and technology
§  speech development
§  speech perception and/or production
§  theoretical speech learning models
§  laboratory research
§  speech development
§  social dimensions of accent
§  other relevant topics

The Pronunciation in Second Language Learning and Teaching Conference invites proposals for three main types of presentations: Oral presentations (20 minutes +5 minutes of questions), posters (a dedicated 90-minute poster presentation session), and Teaching Tips (7-minute, evidence-based pedagogical techniques/activities for teaching pronunciation). Individuals may submit a maximum of one abstract as first author, whether an oral paper, a poster or a teaching tip. An individual may appear as a co-author/co-presenter of another presentation, provided they are not first author. Please keep proposal titles to 15 words and abstracts to a maximum of 250 words.

The Call for Proposals<http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/psllt2021> closes on Feb 12, 2021. Notifications of acceptance will be made by early-March, 2021.

Ron Thomson, Andrew Lee and Tracey Derwing, PSLLT 2021 Co-organizers.