[ACLA-CAAL] Job Posting: Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream - CLTA - Writing Studies (DEADLINE JULY 30, 2021)

NC Program Support nc.progsupport at utoronto.ca
Thu Jul 22 18:03:41 UTC 2021

Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream - Contractually Limited Term Appointment - Writing Studies
Date Posted: 06/25/2021
Closing Date: 07/30/2021, 11:59PM ET
Req ID: 3602
Job Category: Faculty - Teaching Stream, Contractually Limited Term Appointment
Faculty/Division: Faculty of Arts and Science
Department: New College
Campus:St. George (Downtown Toronto)

The New College Writing Centre in the Faculty of Arts and Science at the University of Toronto invites applications for a three-year Contractually Limited Term Appointment (CLTA) in the area of Writing Studies, with a specialization in anti-racist and/or decolonial writing pedagogies. The appointment will be at the rank of Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream, with an expected start date of September 1, 2021, or shortly thereafter.

Applicants must have earned a Ph.D. in the area of Writing Studies or a relevant field by the time of appointment, or shortly thereafter, and have a demonstrated record of excellence in teaching. We seek candidates whose teaching interests complement and strengthen the existing approaches in the New College Writing Centre<http://www.newcollege.utoronto.ca/academics/writing-centre/>.

Candidates must have teaching expertise in a degree granting program at the undergraduate level, including one-on-one writing instruction, interactive writing workshop preparation and delivery, and/or curriculum development. Additionally, candidates must possess a demonstrated commitment to excellent pedagogical practices and a demonstrated interest in teaching-related scholarly activities.

Evidence of excellence in teaching and pedagogical inquiry can be demonstrated through teaching accomplishments, awards and accolades, presentations at significant conferences, strong letters of reference, and the teaching dossier submitted as part of the application, which should include a strong teaching statement, teaching evaluations, and sample writing curricula. The dossier should reflect demonstrated engagement with current writing studies literature and/or writing pedagogies.

Equity and diversity are essential to academic excellence. We seek candidates who value diversity and whose research, teaching, and service bear out our commitment to equity. Candidates must therefore submit a brief (up to one page) statement of contributions to equity and diversity, to include the candidate's commitment to, and demonstrated experience with, anti-racist, decolonial, and equity/diversity/inclusion educational practices, as well as topics such as (but not limited to): research or teaching that incorporates a focus on underrepresented communities, the development of inclusive pedagogies, or the mentoring of students from underrepresented groups.

The successful candidate will work in the New College Writing Centre and teach academic writing to undergraduate students in the sciences, social sciences, and humanities in one-on-one and small group settings. Additionally, they will teach in-class writing workshops attuned to course instructors' specific assignments; assist the Writing Centre Director with day-to-day administration of and leadership in the writing centre; contribute to New College governance, programming, and committees; contribute to the vibrant and intellectually engaged community of writing centres in the Faculty of Arts and Science and at the University of Toronto more widely; collaborate with course instructors on assignment design and discipline-specific, course-integrated writing curricula; and contribute to reviewing and improving the Writing Centre's existing writing curricula, ideally in the context of some of the key movements in the field including anti-racist and decolonial writing pedagogies, multi-modal composition, accessibility, and translingual and multilingual pedagogies.

We seek applicants with academic training and extensive experience in writing instruction coupled with demonstrable interest and expertise in fostering diverse and inclusive environments and decolonial and/or anti-racist approaches to teaching as demonstrated in the application materials. Scholarly and teaching interests may include but are not limited to linguistic racism, translingual pedagogies, linguistic diversity, Indigenous rhetorical perspectives, anti-racist pedagogical practices, and/or decolonial literacy practices. Additional experience in any of the following areas of writing studies would be an asset: multi-modal composition, English language learning, critical disability studies and writing, new media writing, rhetorical theory, and scientific writing. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated ability to work effectively and thoughtfully with culturally and linguistically diverse undergraduate students, will be familiar with forms of writing and oral communication in a broad range of disciplinary curricula, and will possess a superior ability to work closely with the genre, rhetoric and grammar of student texts as evidenced in their application materials. Experience in or familiarity with one or more of the following areas is desired: the scholarly approaches and pedagogy related to New College's academic programs; educational program administration; working with faculty to develop writing assignments and support student writers; and knowledge of learning differences as they relate to composition.

The Faculty of Arts & Science at the University of Toronto has both a collegiate and departmental structure. New College is the largest of the University of Toronto's seven undergraduate colleges and has a long-standing commitment to social justice, critical equity, social responsibility and community engagement.  For more information about New College, please visit http://www.newcollege.utoronto.ca/.  Academically, New College is home to six interdisciplinary undergraduate programs - African Studies; Buddhism, Psychology and Mental Health; Caribbean Studies; Community Engaged Learning; Critical Equity and Solidarity Studies; and New One - and houses two large departments, Human Biology and Women and Gender Studies.

New College's students are drawn from the Greater Toronto Area, around Canada and the world. Members of the college may be the first in their family to come to university, or may be new to Toronto or Canada, or come from communities who have been here for less than a generation or for thousands of years. A large proportion of our students are international students (43%) and even more speak and write English as an additional language (61%). Faculty at the New College Writing Centre teach writing to students enrolled in our academic programs in addition to students registered at New College who are taking Arts & Science courses more broadly.

Grounded in a Writing in the Disciplines and co-curricular approach to teaching writing, the Writing Centre at New College employs multiple curricular methodologies, including one-on-one writing conferences, innovative forms of complementary programming (e.g., retreats, writing groups), and course-integrated, assignment-specific workshops. The Writing Centre is a community of practice in which we continually rethink our pedagogies in relation to new research in the field and growing insights into spheres of privilege, anti-racist and anti-ableist practices, and the relationship between language and power in academic writing. We are seeking an innovative, thoughtful teacher to join a strong cohort of professional writing instructors, each with their own distinctive scholarly profile. We require applicants who are reflective about the role of faculty in welcoming and mentoring a diverse range of students as noted in their application materials.

Salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience.

All qualified candidates are invited to apply online by clicking the link below.  Applicants much submit a cover letter; a current curriculum vitae; and a complete teaching dossier (including a statement of teaching philosophy, teaching evaluations and sample writing curricula), a writing sample, as well as the statement of contributions to equity and diversity as outlined above.

Applicants must provide the name and contact information of three references. At least one reference should primarily address the candidate's teaching. The University of Toronto's recruiting tool will automatically solicit and collect letters of reference from each once an application is submitted. Applicants, however, remain responsible for ensuring that references submit letters (on letterhead, dated and signed) by the closing date.

Submission guidelines can be found at http://uoft.me/how-to-apply.

All application materials, including reference letters must be received by July 30, 2021.

If you have questions about this position, please contact Principal Bonnie McElhinny (nc.principal at utoronto.ca<mailto:nc.principal at utoronto.ca>).

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.

Diversity Statement
The University of Toronto is strongly committed to diversity within its community and especially welcomes applications from racialized persons / persons of colour, women, Indigenous / Aboriginal People of North America, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ2S+ persons, and others who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.

As part of your application, you will be asked to complete a brief Diversity Survey. This survey is voluntary. Any information directly related to you is confidential and cannot be accessed by search committees or human resources staff. Results will be aggregated for institutional planning purposes. For more information, please see http://uoft.me/UP.

Accessibility Statement
The University strives to be an equitable and inclusive community, and proactively seeks to increase diversity among its community members. Our values regarding equity and diversity are linked with our unwavering commitment to excellence in the pursuit of our academic mission.

The University is committed to the principles of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). As such, we strive to make our recruitment, assessment and selection processes as accessible as possible and provide accommodations as required for applicants with disabilities.

If you require any accommodations at any point during the application and hiring process, please contact uoft.careers at utoronto.ca<mailto:uoft.careers at utoronto.ca>.

Apply now ><https://jobs.utoronto.ca/job/Toronto-Assistant-Professor%2C-Teaching-Stream-Contractually-Limited-Term-Appointment-Writing-Studies-ON/548454317/>