formats, again

Jeutonne P. Brewer jpbrewer at UNCG.EDU
Fri Apr 23 03:12:49 UTC 1999

> Sorry, but MIME (Multipurpose Internet Mail Extensions, RFC 2045-2049) and
> quoted-printable are the standard, and are often out of the control of the
> user.  Email clients should handle MIME and quoted-printable without the
> knowledge of the user.  Whether the list server can handle it is another story,
> but I assure you that every message I send is reasonably MIME compliant, and if
> there are 8-bit characters in the text, they are encoded as quoted-printable.

Unfortunately, there are standards, and then there are more standards.
Not all locations provide the type of mail system you describe, at least
not with easy, straightforward access.

Jeutonne Brewer

Jeutonne P. Brewer, Linguist, Associate Professor
Department of English
University of North Carolina at Greensboro
Greensboro, NC 27412
email: jpbrewer at uncg.edu