Standards for Web resources

Winter, Ken (by way of Alan Baragona <baragonasa@vax.vmi.edu>) WinterKA at MAIL.VMI.EDU
Fri Apr 23 14:10:11 UTC 1999

I passed on the message from  Eric Hoffma by way of Alan Metcalf to one of
our libraries webmasters, Ken Winter, for comment and got this reply (sorry
it's late in coming).

Alan B.
===============

Interesting indeed!  God yes we have a role in reviewing sites for beginners!
Experts reviewing web sites for their field is a big help.  I'm looking at a new
batch of Choice cards (Choice is a key review service we use to evaluate new
materials we think we might like to buy) right now and a number of them are for
web sites.  This I find fascinating, along with the fact that academic libraries
are beginning to catalog some of the better web sites just like they catalog
books.

When that happens, students might look in their online catalog and find three
great books, a magazine on their topic and even a link to a resource (like the
Parasitic Plant Connection www.science.siu.edu/parasitic-plants/index.html
--who'd a thunk it!).  All of these items are reviewed and "collected" by the
library as relevant to what that library's users need.

-Ken