catonically

Alan Baragona baragonasa at VAX.VMI.EDU
Tue Apr 27 15:26:38 UTC 1999

The only dictionary I can find with this word is the Second Edition of
Webster's New International (it's not in the Third or any current versions).
There it means "In the manner of Cato; specif. by suicide (referring to Cato
of Utica)."

"Catonic" and the more commonly listed "Catonian" are defined as "Of or
pertaining to or resembling Cato, esp. Cato the Elder or Cato of Utica, both
remarkable for austerity of life and manners."

So we've got two different meanings and two different Catos.

However, since Cato the Elder was famous for his "repeated injunctions, or
warnings, or predictions" about Carthage, there's no reason "Catonian" can't
refer to that aspect of his character, in addition to his austerity, and
there's no reason "catonically" would have to refer only to the other Cato
or to suicide, either.  Whether Buckley himself is extending the definition
or found it in a dictionary somewhere, I can't say.

Alan B.