/bUg at r/

Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM
Fri Apr 30 17:51:44 UTC 1999

Beverly Flanigan <flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU> wrote:

A student of mine from Wisconsin, on the other hand, named his dog "Bugger,"
pronounced with /U/.  For my dad, the word was a derogation; for my student
it clearly was not.
<<<

And then she wrote:

I was reminded too that
"bugger" with a /U/ refers to  nasal residue, but not in MY childhood lexicon.
<<<

I've seen that spelled "booger". There's a bumpersticker that says something
like
"Back off or I'll flick a booger on your windshield". A cousin of my wife's uses
"boogers" as a curse, analogous to "rats!".

-- Mark