Email conventions seeping into handwriting

James E. Clapp jeclapp at WANS.NET
Tue Aug 3 06:24:35 UTC 1999

Laurence Horn wrote:

> But a SIDEways smiley face :)   ?

I sure wish I could put my hands on the column Dave Barry wrote about
emoticons for a computer magazine.  He was very enthusiastic about them.
For example, he pointed out (and unfortunately I can only paraphrase, but
this is my best recollection), that if somebody writes, say,

        Six million Jews perished in the holocaust :(

then by simply rotating the page clockwise a quarter turn you can
immediately see that the writer thinks this is a sad thing.

James E. Clapp