email conventions

Jeutonne P. Brewer jpbrewer at UNCG.EDU
Fri Aug 6 03:22:08 UTC 1999

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, James E. Clapp wrote:

> Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM sent along this remark of a co-worker:
>
> > But the worst is the Pilot-influenced handwriting things... doing "v"s backwards
> > or not putting a crossbar in an "A", for instance.
>
> I was waiting for somebody else to ask so that I wouldn't have to be the one to
> reveal my ignorance, but nobody did, so, okay, what is a backwards "v"?
>
> James E. Clapp

You write the "v" from right to left instead of left to right.
Reason: The Graffiti program (handwriting recognition) never interprets a
backwards "v" as a "u".

The Palm/Pilot uses a stylized alphabet that requires the minimum number
of strokes. The idea is to make the letters without lifting the stylus
from the screen. (Only the letter "x" requires two strokes and the
lifting of the stylus from the screen.) The "A" without the crossbar is
all that is needed to distinguish the letter from other letters.
It's an interesting and, in my opinion, easy system to learn.

Jeutonne Brewer