email conventions

Johanna N Franklin johannaf+ at ANDREW.CMU.EDU
Fri Aug 6 13:01:51 UTC 1999

You can find webpages full of them on the Net.  Most of those are pretty
special-interest, though... like a Star Trek Klingon emoticon.  The only
main ones that I can think of that you left out are

:}
and :{

Both indicate a very sheepish attitude...as in

Person 1: If you'd read my e-mail, you'd have known that...
Person 2: Sorry....  :}

Person 1: You know I don't want to think about that anymore!  Stop
bringing it up!
Person 2:  :{  I forgot...

    Johanna, who wants to point out that ':P' can also be written as ':b'

Excerpts from mail: 6-Aug-99 Re: email conventions by David Muschell at MAIL.GCSU