Lime Rickey; Money Honey; Public Defender

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 10 06:02:36 UTC 1999

LIME RICKEY

    The NEW YORK TIMES, City Section, 1 August 1999, pg. 5, cols. 1-2, had a story about "Lime Rickey, Drink of Yore."  It stated that the fresh lime, seltzer and cherry syrup drink was named after Col. Joe Rickey, a turn-of-the-century Washington lobbyist.
    The earliest "rickey" we have is the "gin rickey," from 1895.  The NEW YORK TIMES reported on 24 April 1903, pg. 1, col. 6:  "Col. Joseph Karr (Kyle?--ed.) Rickey, famous throughout the country as the originator of the concoction bearing his name, died suddenly yesterday at his home at 124 West Twenty-fifth Street."
    I haven't checked the Washington Post (the NYU library now closes at 7 p.m., making it impossible for me to use it this month), but this was in the NEW YORK HERALD, 24 April 1903, pg. 5, col. 2:

_COLONEL RICKEY_
_TAKES HIS LIFE_
_Poison Kills the Man Who First_
_Compounded Drink Ap-_
_proved by Statesmen._
     Colonel Joseph Kyle (Karr?--ed.) Rickey, for twenty-five years well known among politicans the country over as "Joe" Rickey and the originator of the "gin rickey," committed suicide by swallowing a solution of carbolic acid a few minutes before eleven o'clock yesterday morning.
(...) During the early seventies he became active in democratic politics in Missouri and went to Washington, where for twenty years he was conspicuous.  For many years he was the proprietor of a cafe on Pennsylvania avenue near Thirteenth street, and it was there the "gin rickey" came into existence.
     Colonel Rickey always said that one of his barkeepers was the real originator of the "rickey."
     "Bill and I knew about the gin and lime juice," he would say to his friends, "for a long time, but the thing never became famous until one day Henry Watterson (Famous editor of the Louisville Courier-Journal who coined "the Windy City"--ed.) came in for a drink in a great hurry, and in trying to make a new bartender understand what he wanted shouted, 'Oh, confound it, make me one of those--you know--one of those Joe Rickeys.'  After that the 'rickey' became one of the institutions of the country."

MONEY HONEY (continued)

     The battle of CNBC's "Business Center" (with Maria Bartiromo) and CNN's "Moneyline" (now with Willow Bay) began on 14 October 1997.  The NEW YORK POST of that date, pg. 88, col. 3:

     He (Tyler Mathisen) was paired with Bartiromo--dubbed CNBC's "Money Honey"--after a long screening process.

     The English Drama database shows a "Prince Hoary" as the author of THE PARAGRAPH: A MUSICAL ENTERTAINMENT IN TWO ACTS (1804):

Latin--Satin
Money--Honey
Scholars--Dollars (This combination escapes me--ed.)

PUBLIC DEFENDER

    I've been going through newspapers from the early decades of this century (for "jaywalking" and others) and ran across "public defender" mentions.  "Public Defenders" is in the HARVARD LAW REVIEW, vol. 10, 1896/1897, pg. 514.  I don't know what Fred Shapiro sent in to the OED.