1st Dagwood

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Fri Aug 13 12:49:16 UTC 1999

Merriam's first cite for _Dagwood sandwich_ is from the Mar., 1945,
issue of _Reader's Digest_ (p. 72), condensed from an _Esquire_
article (date not given):  "_Blondie_ has given the nation the
mountainous and precarious _Dagwood sandwich_...."  Plenty of
evidence for _Dagwood_ and _Dagwood sandwich_ since then.

Jim Rader