ivory tower

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Wed Aug 18 00:07:04 UTC 1999

I have wondered about this myself.  A wild guess would be that it's just a
ref to something otherwordly and/or romantic, as conjuring up the storied
Orient in the old sense, where ivory and sandalwood and such came from.  A
tower of ivory would actually be pretty impractical and not at all strong,
so the original image cannot have been of a fortress against the real world.
But I would love to hear the real story and am waiting in breathless
anticipation.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt, Merriam-Webster, Inc.
47 Federal Street, P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA  01102
Tel. (413) 734-3134 ext 124
Fax  (413) 827-7262