"What's it to you?"

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Aug 21 09:09:42 UTC 1999

WHAT'S IT TO YOU?

    The Making of America database works in some strange ways.  It will NOT
recognize "What's it to you?"  It WILL recognize "What s it to you?"
Couldn't they work out this kink??
     Eric Partridge has "what's it to you?" (what concern is it of yours?) as
a U.S. c.p. dating from c. 1919.  However, he has "what's that to me?" from
1837, and states that it's US, esp. New England, C19-20.
     I found a bunch of "what's it to you?"/"what is it to you?"/"what's that
to you?"/"what is that to you?"  I haven't yet checked Accessible Archives.
     "What's that to you?" is on pg. 182 in POEMS AND PROSE WRITINGS (1830)
by Richard Henry Dana.

I'M FROM MISSOURI

     "I m from Missouri" was in the OVERLAND MONTHLY, December 1887, pg. 625,
but no "Show Me" context was there.