Naked City; Only in New York; Biscuit; Mozart Effect

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Aug 26 22:28:13 UTC 1999

    The Performing Arts Library and the regular library closed unexpectedly
early today, so I didn't check the Mark Hellinger clippings for "naked city"
or the many books on W. C. Fields to record his catch phrases.  (Maybe
Saturday.)
   We pray for rain, so it rains, and it pours, and the subways are flooded,
and the tunnels are flooded, and people can't get home.  I knew I should have
never left that beach in Western Turkey!

NAKED CITY

    There was a tv show called NAKED CITY and a movie called NAKED CITY.
According to the Worldcat entry, the 1947 movie was a Mark Hellinger
production.  Of the script by Albert Maltz:  "Original title 'Homicide'
crossed out and 'Naked City' pencilled in."
    The photographer Weegee did a book (now reprinted and in stores all over)
titled NAKED CITY in 1945.

ONLY IN NEW YORK

    From the NEW YORK OBSERVER, 30 August 1999, pg. 6, col. 4:

    Close readers of Cindy Adams' column in the _New York Post_ may have
noticed that her kicker--"Only in New York, kids, only in New York"--now has
a little "TM" right next to it.
    "She trademarked it," said a _Post_ spokesman.

    Adams (the photo caption calls her a "gossipeuse") can trademark the
thing said twice and with "kids" added, but "Only in New York" has been
around for decades, much before Cindy Adams started her column.
    Only in America.  Land of opportunity, yeah.

FASHION "BISCUITS"

    From the NEW YORK OBSERVER, 30 August 1999, pg. 28, col. 4:

2.  In fashionspeak, what are "biscuits?"
c.  According to _Out_ magazine, an insulting reference to the overhang of a
manly foot crammed into a delicate mule.