Carpetbagger; Lookit

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 31 15:38:12 UTC 1999

LOOKIT (continued)

     A recent William Safire column mentioned "lookit," and I posted here
that I remembered the word used by the cartoonist Briggs.
     It's in "The Days of Real Sport" by Briggs (syndicated by the New York
Tribune), 6 May 1917:  "OH BUCK!! HERE COMES SKIN-NAY!  LOOKIT!"
     (I was looking for "jaywalking.")

CARPETBAGGER (continued)

     This is from the MONTGOMERY (Alabama) WEEKLY ADVERTISER, 25 February
1868, pg. 2, col. 1:

     _The Radical Defeat in Alabama._
     The defeated carpet-baggers of this State are driven to other
desperation.  They are hopelessly gone, unless, by falsehoods and
misrepresentations, they can prevail on Congress to save them.   (...)
Radical reconstruction is plainly, fairly and squarely beaten in Alabama, by
fifteen to twenty thousand.  The carpet-baggers may attempt to conceal these
facts; and they may succeed.  (...)

     _Perplexities of Defeated Carpet Baggers._
     (...)  The negroes are becoming heartily disgusted with the carpet-bag
adventurers for whose benefit the Congressional plan of reconstruction was
attempted. (...)  It may be that Congress will agree to what is now asked.
The intelligence of the South may be subjected to African ignorance.  We may
have forced upon us the galling yoke of carpet bag tyranny. (...)