City Names

M. Lynne Murphy M_Lynne_Murphy at BAYLOR.EDU
Wed Dec 1 15:38:42 UTC 1999

Waco seems not to be clipped.  It's just called Wacko sometimes.
Champaign-Urbana becomes Chambana (or Shampoo-Banana)
I don't think Amherst (MA) gets clipped--though when you move there you
learn not to pronounce the H, but i don't think that should count as
clipping.
My home town of Newark, NY is derogatorily called Nurk, Nyurk by people
who've moved out.

And we already talked about Jo'burg, so that's where I've lived...
Lynne