City Names

Peter A. McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Dec 2 17:05:46 UTC 1999

--On Sat, Dec 2, 2000 10:16 PM +0000 Joseph McCollum <prez234 at JUNO.COM>
wrote:

> In the sports pages, it's usually "Cincy," "Indy" (not "Indie,")
> "Philly," and "Frisco."

There's a difference here.  I don't know about "Indy," but "Philly" and, as
far as I know, "Cincy" are affectionate nicknames used by the locals for
their respective Fair Cities, whereas "Frisco" is used by ignorant
outsiders and disdained by native San Franciscans (one of whom explained to
me once that "it's like something someone from Los Angeles would say").
The only comparable phenomenon I'm personally aware of involves a state
rather than a city: only New  Yorkers call New Jersey "Jersey.")

Peter Mc.

                               Peter A. McGraw
                   Linfield College   *   McMinnville, OR
                            pmcgraw at linfield.edu