good thing

Lynne Murphy M_Lynne_Murphy at BAYLOR.EDU
Thu Dec 2 17:13:51 UTC 1999

I wasn't really paying attention to the thread on "a Good Thing", so I
don't know how relevant this is, but I'm just rereading my assignment
for Cross-Cultural Linguistics for today and came across the following:

>From "The limits of cultural diversity" by Harland Cleveland.  Orig.
published in _The Futurist_ Mar/Apr 1995;  reprinted in Samovar & Porter
(eds.) _Intercultural Communication: A reader_ (Wadsworth 2000). (Side
note:  Why is a book that was bought in August copyrighted for 2000?)

"After the multiple revolutions of 1989, it began to look as if three
ideas we have thought were Good Things would be getting in each other's
way, which is not a Good Thing.  What I have called the 'triple dilemma'
or 'trilemma,' is the mutually damaging collision of individual human
rights, cultural human diversity, and global human opportunities."

lynne

--

M. Lynne Murphy, Assistant Professor in Linguistics
Department of English, Baylor University