Introduction and question

Sun Dec 5 17:13:32 UTC 1999

This is a very puzzling message to me. We certainly don't want o be spared
definitions and/or thoery in a scholarly discussion group. (Maybe we could
just wallow in data?)

More substantively, if "flames" often focus on syntax, how can such a focus
indicate that a message was understood? I understand the syntax of quite a
lot of things I don't "understand" (in the more global sense of "get the
meaning of" -  let alone the more subtle "understand the full pragmatics
of").

dInIs

>Spare us the definitions and theory PUHLEEZ.  Just because you know a bunch
>of theory doesn't mean your smart.
>
>You're own argument proves you utterly incorrect by the fact that the
>audience responded with a counter-attack on the use of syntax.  Its a common
>flame technique to focus on the syntax of the other person's flame.  That
>indicates the audience DID understand the speaker's intended message!
>
>The audience's perlocutionary act in response to the writer's locutionary
>act was a parry, thus indicating the intended message was understood; ergo,
>the period served its purpose.
>
>Ergo - Consequently; therefore.  (American Heritage Dictionary).
>
>Parry - "2. An evasive answer or action."  (American Heritage Dictionary).

Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
Michigan State University
East Lansing MI 48824-1027 USA