Catch-22; Borscht Belt; Burn, baby, burn

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Dec 14 07:27:22 UTC 1999

CATCH-22

    Joseph Heller died.  The familiar story of "Catch-22" (which was almost
Catch-18) is in his long obituary in today's New York Times....The word
"tummler" is used in the obituary.

BORSCHT BELT

     I've been going through Joey Adams's THE BORSCHT BELT (1966).

Pg. 8:  "A funny thing happened on the way to the synagogue."  (Jackie
Mason--ed.)
Pg. 17:  Sour Cream Sierras.
Pg. 20:  Bungalow colonies were and still are better known as
_kuchalanes_--Berlitz Yiddish for "cook yourself."
Pg. 41:  The name Toomler comes from one who makes tumult.  A "tumult-maker,"
alias "tumulter."
Pg. 121:  Jewish Alps.  (RHHDAS also has 1966--ed.)
Pg. 154:  "The G." (Grossinger's--ed.)
Pg. 206:  Lou Goldstein is a streamline version of the old Toomler.  His big
gimmick is "Simon Sez."  The idea of this game is only to obey orders
preceded by "Simon Sez."
Pg. 208:  Yiddish Himalayas.
Pg. 212:  Derma Road.
Pg. 213:  food-aholics.  (RHHDAS has 1965--ed.)

BURN, BABY, BURN

     I came across the book BURN, BABY, BURN (1966) by Jerry Cohen and
William S. Murphy, about the Watts race riots.  I had no idea that the
mild-mannered Comments on Etymology editor was like this.
    There are also:

BURN, BABY, BURN! (1935), a novel by Samuel Fuller.
BURN, BABY, BURN (Jan. 1967), by Adam Clayton Powell, "a sermon including an
expression he traces back to Shadrock, Meshack and Abednago, who decried
Nebudchadnezzar, but would not burn in the fiery furnace."