Vietnam profile

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Dec 24 01:49:56 UTC 1999

  This is from the VIETNAM INVESTMENT REVIEW, TIMEOUT, "On the Stool," June 21-27, 1999, pg. 9:

FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE WORD/PHRASE AND WHY?
   _Khong sao dau_ (no problem), _tram phan tram_ (100 percent).
WHAT'S YOU FAVOURITE PHRASE/SAYING ETC IN ANY LANGUAGE AND WHEN DO YOU USE IT?
  "S--, what the hell?!"  "S--- happens" when people don't learn from their mistakes and keep repeating them again and again.
WHAT'S YOU FAVOURITE DRINK AND DO YOU GET TOO MUCH OF IT?
  On the street it's Tra da or coconut water, in the bar it's nuoc suoi after I've had too much Vodka and Tonic.

     From the same publication, December 20-26, 1999, pg. 13:

FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE FOOD AND WHY?
   _Bun cha_.  Why ask why.  It is just fantastic.
FAVOURITE VIETNAMESE WORD/PHRASE AND WHY?
     "_Mot Phut_."  It gives me the chance to teach and show my kitchen team something new, exciting and interesting, and of course how I prefer things done.
WHAT'S YOUR FAVOURITE PHRASE/SAYING ETC IN ANY LANGUAGE AND WHEN DO YOU USE IT?
     "Okey Dokey Smokey?"  In short, it means "DO you understand?"  My team in the kitchen laugh every time I use this expression.
(Guinness Stout is favourite drink.  Gotta go!!--ed.)