Vietnam Star & other drinks

Mon Dec 27 15:14:53 UTC 1999

Ahhhhh, Barry! What memories. The AK47 (probably only one in a long list of
"tough guy" or "destroyer" drink names) brings back memories of Dick's Den
in Columbus, Ohio (when linguists at OSU were inclined to doubtless
long-lost behaviors), where a similar recipe was known as the "Polish
Hero." Legend had it that any drinker who could down two got them free (but
who remembers?). The other "heroic" drink there (with a bigger dose of rum
as I recall) was known as a "fog-cutter."

Now we are all post-yuppie winos!

dInIs (who remembers other days)

>   Two places in Nha trang serve VEITNAM STAR--gold rum, lemon juice,
>strawberry syrup.
>   From the Cay Dua restaurant, Coconut Grove:
>
>NHA TRANG SUNRISE--tequila, orange juice, grenadine
>MORNING KISS--gin, apricot brandy, orange juice, champagne
>ROMANCE ON THE BEACH--vodka, peachtree schnapps, orange juice
>MANDINGO GRINGO--Jamaica dark rum, creme de banana, pineapple juice,
>orange juice, lime juice
>HAVANA BANDANA--light rum, lime juice, very ripe banana, banana liqueur
>
>   From THE LOG:
>
>AK47--brandy, whiskey, vodka, rum, cointreau, fresh lime, honey
>NHA TRANG SEA BREEZE--vodka, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice
>NHA TRANG TIPHOON--light rum, dark rum, orange juice, cranberry juice,
>triple sec

Dennis R. Preston
Department of Linguistics and Languages
Michigan State University