ocalan

Peter McGraw pmcgraw at LINFIELD.EDU
Thu Jul 1 16:04:15 UTC 1999

In Turkish orthography (according to my Teach Yourself Turkish book) c
has the same value as the j in English orthography.  If the newspapers
are passing on the correct Turkish spelling, the O in Ocalan's name
indicates a mid back rounded vowel. However, if they are simply ignoring
a dieresis over the O (just as we are forced to in ASCII) , then the
first vowel is mid front rounded.

Peter

On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:33:22 -0400 Beverly Flanigan
<flanigan at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU> wrote:

> I've heard [och at lan] more often (ch=[c] with hachek, @=schwa).  Others?
>

> At 09:54 AM 7/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Speaking of Dokic, I'm mystified by Ocalan (as in Abdullah Ocalan, the
> Kurd >leader), pronunciation (I think) /@rdjalan/ (based on the ADS IPA
> symbols >for e-mail).  Is that correct?  I have heard the last two
> vowels pronounced >various ways.
> > >Thanks,
> >Jessie >

Peter A. McGraw