Shakespeare in ASL

Enid Pearsons epearsons at RANDOMHOUSE.COM
Thu Jul 8 15:27:57 UTC 1999

I suspect that some of the confusion about this topic results from a
failure to understand the terminology in "myth # 1,"  in particular, use of
the words _phonetics_ and _phonology_.

I'll quote *briefly* from the introduction to the _Random House American
Sign Language Dictionary_ by Elaine Costello, a book I had the privilege of
editing.

        "In spoken language, _phonology_ is the study of how basic units of
sound combine to make up a language.   Just as the words in a spoken
language consist of specific combinations of individual sounds . . ., so
each of the "words"--that is, the _signs_ in American Sign Language
consists of a combination of gestures.  These gestural components fall into
certain clearly defined categories:  the _location_ in which a sign is
produced in relation to the body; the _handshape(s)_ used in the formation
of the sign; the _movement_ of the hands used in executing the sign; and
finally, the _orientation_ of the palms.  These four units or features of
signs have been used for descriptive purposes since linguists first began
to describe and transcribe signs more than thirty years ago. . . . Using
all these phonological features of sign language, scholars have designed
intricate notation systems to facilitate written transcriptions of American
Sign Language for linguistic analysis and study."

There is more detail in the introduction, which mentions additional
features of ASL linguists are now taking into account.  But perhaps this
snippet can help to clear up what appears to be some difficulty in
attaching the concept of phonology to a language that does not deal with
sounds.

))))))))) Previous Notes Mail