Politeness

Kathleen Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Fri Jul 9 13:36:00 UTC 1999

I agree with the praise for the Mr. Baron' s response but what amazes me is
that LA thought a law was nec. in the first place. Having been a
Philadelphia Yankee in "King" Edwards court during my high school years, it
is my recollection that there was no lack of polite forms of address. Yes
Ma'am was used from every woman from the cafeteria ladies to the vice
principal. It just sort of rolls off Louisianan tongues. Even at my age I
was called Ma'am - or in the habit of Gone with the Wind, Miss Katy - by
those younger. I fail to see how, in just over a decade (and I do mean
just), the students at my alma mater could have gone from, "Yes Ma'am, I
did my homework" to "Yo, lady, I got yer homework right here!"

Kathleen Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times