Amphitheater -> Ampitheater

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Mon Jul 12 10:39:05 UTC 1999

The /mp/ pronunciation is given in W3, prefaced by the "division sign"
symbol that marks the pronunciation as "unacceptable" to some.  The
form /mpf/, with intrusive /p/, is also shown.  The Collegiates began
showing the /mp/ pronunciation as a variant beginning with C9 (1983),
though the stigmatization mark, which is rarely used in the
Collegiates, is left out.  The W3 pronunciation editor, Ed Artin,
noted David Brinkley using the /mp/ pronunciation in 1956.

The shift of fricative to plosive articulation after a homoorganic
nasal does not strike me as unusual, and the failure of a stop to
spirantize following a nasal when such a shift has taken place in
other environments is probably even less unusual.

Jim Rader