TAD's "hot dog" cartoons

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Tue Jul 27 15:24:13 UTC 1999

On  July 27, 8:52 A.M.,  Joseph McCollum  commented on T.A. Dorgan's
(TAD's) alleged  "hot dog" cartoon---supposedly drawn within a few years of
1900 and  inspired by food vendor Harry Steven's selling of  hot
frankfurters on a roll one chilly April day at the Polo Grounds.   Barry
Popik, DARE  editor and bibliographer Leonard Zwillling (who  researched
Dorgan's carrtoons) and I have stated that TAD's Polo Grounds "hot dog"
cartoon is almost certainly non-existent.

    Mr. McCollum's interesting comment is:

>The History Channel actually showed the cartoon a few weeks ago (in a Sam
>Waterston "Official Channel of Every Millenium" snippet).  Is it a
>forgery?

----My reaction is that whatever cartoon was shown on Sam Waterston's
snippet was probably one of the cartoons from either Dec. 12 or 13, 1906
(_NY Evening Journal_) , in which the term "hot dog" appears in  connection
with an unwholesome six-day bike race at Madison Square Garden.
     About six months ago I  was contacted by a firm doing research for The
History Channel, and I sent the person  who called me the information about
these two cartoons .
      Meanwhile, I will promptly write a check of $100 to the first person
who sends me a copy (plus exact date and page) of TAD's Polo Grounds "hot
dog" cartoon.  This is a firm and serious offer, although quite frankly, I
believe my money is as safe as if it's in the bank.

----Gerald Cohen

gcohen at umr.edu