Long Island iced tea (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Jul 28 11:10:07 UTC 1999

JAY LENO:  I think this Amy Fisher has gone way too far.  Now bars are
selling an Amy Fisher Cocktail.  Have you had this?  It's a Long Island iced
tea with a shot on the side.
--NEWSDAY, 31 January 1993, pg. 8.

OPRAH WINFREY:  You had to be drunk if you had four Long Island iced teas.
OKSANA BAIUL (Olympic ice skating champion, accused of drunk driving):  I'm
Russian.
--reported 8 February 1997.

     I haven't found a pre-1980 citation for Long Island iced tea.
     There's the NEW YORK TIMES, Long Island section 11, pg. 33, col. 1, 21
November 1982, in a restaurant review of Remsen's Garden Restaurant, 950
Wheatley Plaza, Greenvale:  "Long Island iced tea is the innocent name given
an excellent and strong tea-based rum punch."
     From the NEW YORK TIMES, Long Island section 12, pg. 14, col. 3, 7 May
1989: "At the L. I. Exchange, 'They still like their Long Island Iced Tea,'
said Tony Arbucci, a bartender.  Long Island's version of iced tea has just
about every hard liquor in it.  It can knock your socks off, as one bar
patron put it."
     From the NATION'S RESTAURANT NEWS, 2 May 1994, pg. 7:  "While beer is
highlighted as part of the new image (for the Brown Derby Roadhouse of
Cleveland), Texas Teas, similar to Long Island Iced Tea, is a signature
alcoholic beverage."
     The big article was in the NEW YORK TIMES, Long Island section 21, 24
February 1985.  On page one: "Jim Palermo with the drink called Long Island
Iced Tea.  Page 5."
     The page 5 article is "L.I. Iced Tea: A New Kick," by Phyllis Bernstein:

     A POTENT alcoholic drink called Long Island Iced Tea is sweeping the
Island's bars as well as watering spots across the country, but some
bartenders and restaurant managers are expressing concern that the drink is
so powerful they have to keep an eye on clients and at times (?) them off.
     (...)
     The ingredients for Long Island Iced Tea vary from establishment to
establishment, as does the price.  The basic recipe at Gadgets
(Westbury--ed.) is one-half ounce each of rum, vodka, gin and Triple Sec,
three ounces of sour mix and a dash of Pepsi-Cola or Coca-Cola, spin-blended,
poured over ice and served with a lemon wedge.  At Emmett's (Carle
Place--ed.), one half ounce of tequila is added.
     The origin of this sweet-tasting drink, which some people say tastes
like ordinary iced tea, is unclear.  Several bartenders said they believed it
started on local campuses or Long Island discos.  Bar patrons interviewed
recently said they had drunk it in cities from as nearby as Albany to as far
away as Florida and the West Coast.  (What about Cape Town, South
Africa?--ed.)
     (...)  She (L.I.I.T. drinker Laurie Aebly) said she believed the drink
may have originated at her alma mater, the University of South Carolina.
     Bill Woerther and Joe Cusmano of Glen Cove, former roommates at
Princeton University, and friends of Miss Aebly's, were the designated
drivers for the evening.  Mr. Woerther, an engineer at a photo circuit
company on Long Island, said he first heard about Iced Tea at Princeton.
Later, he drank it in Seattle, Texas and Hawaii.
     (...)
     In her (L.I.I.T. drinker Allison Boyd) opinion: "If you drink four Iced
Teas, you're probably dead."

     Or Russian?