Historical Newspaper Index Sources (Virginia)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Jul 31 23:15:29 UTC 1999

     Can you search Virginia newspapers online?
    The New York Public Library has added something from the Libraries of
Fairfax County, Virginia.  I think they're at
http://166.94.10.13/newsindx/nidxform.asp.  A better address for the Virginia
Room is: va_room at fcpl.co.fairfax.va.us.
     It DID NOT work today for me!
     You enter a keyword, then choose the following databases:

THE FAIRFAX HERALD
1886-1919
1920-1929
1930-1939
1940-1949
1950-1959
1960-1973

THE FAIRFAX NEWS--HERNDON OBSERVER
1925-1934
1935-1943

THE ALEXANDRIA GAZETTE
1785-1788

THE ARLINGTON COUNTY RECORD
1932-1933

THE FAIRFAX COUNTY INDEPENDENT
1929-1932

THE FAIRFAX CITY TIMES
1961-1968

THE FAIRFAX NEWS
1872-1875

THE RAMBLER, WASHINGTON STAR
1912-1928

     You can check ALL newspaper index types, or just the following:

Announcement
Birth Announcement
Comics (They've even indexed old comics??--ed.)
Editorial
Marriage Announcement
News Item
Notice
Obituary
Photograph
Place Names
Recipe

     So what is online--newspaper text, or an index?   Neither?  Both?
     I tried the keyword "slang" for every one of these newspapers and got
NOTHING!  I tried "jazz" and also got NOTHING!  I tried "Big Apple" for
1935-1943 and got:
Herndon Observer, 01/27/1938, Cole Billy Dances the "Big Apple."
     I went to a librarian--we tried "Kennedy" for the 1960s and got
something, then tried another keyword for another time period and got nothing
again.
     Who knows?