NYorker tells all re The reporter

Bethany K. Dumas dumasb at UTK.EDU
Thu Jun 3 11:23:14 UTC 1999

Thanks to Ron Butters and a story in the 6/7 issue of the NYorker, I now
that my favorite cartoon appeared in The Reporter, not the NYorker.

See the essay "Beltway Bluestocking" (about Meg Greenfield), 92-94, esp.
p. 93:

                The Reporter is almost forgotten today, but in the
        fifities and early sixties it was read by a big slice of the American
        intellectual elite. It was a text-rich liberal biweekly published on
        slick paper, with a handsomely restrained layout and a cover
        that was invariably occupied by a quiet painting and a discreet
        line of type at the top. The Reporter was a cross between The New
        Republic and The New Yorker, both of which it shared writers with,
        and its circulation, around a quarter of a milion, hovered roughly
        midway between those of its models. ... The reporter passed the
        test that the fifties set for liberals: it was anti-Communist,
        anti-Macarthyite, and anti-segregation. ...

(Thanks, Ron.)

Bethany