"Murphy's Law" at Edwards AFB, Muroc, Calif.

M4rci0 mosorio at ELOGICA.COM.BR
Thu Jun 3 23:44:59 UTC 1999

[...]
>      I came across another term.  From 15 December 1950, pg. 2:
>
> T/Sgt Kavonen sez, "Too many chiefs and not enough Indians."
>
> (RANDOM HOUSE DICTIONARY OF POPULAR PROVERBS AND SAYINGS:  _All chiefs and no
> Indians._  Too many bosses and too few workers to get the job done.
> Originated in Australia c. 1940 and now used in many English-speaking
> countries.  First attested in the United States in the 1970s.)
> (Nigel Rees, DICTIONARY OF CATCHPHRASES:  _too many chiefs and not enough
> Indians_  phrase suggesting that to some confused situation there are too
> many leaders and not enough led, or that there are too many people giving
> orders and instructions but not enough people to carry them out.  American in
> origin?)

[...]
-----
The term has been heard of, and is widely used in Brazil in its Portuguese
version. The "too many bosses and too few workers" version of it is more common.
I am a general clerk, and I know it! :) I'm not sure, but other (Latin)
countries may have borrowed it and, at least, regale themselves with using it.
Probably picked it up in conversation with Americans. Well, correct me if I'm
wrong! :)

m4rci0