Picnic: Killing Slaves?

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Wed Jun 9 13:36:00 UTC 1999

> -----Original Message-----
The etymology of the word 'picnic' is known: it is from French.  The only
question about the history of this word as far as English is concerned is
whether it came into English via German, or directly from French.  You don't
have to be an etymologist to find this out.  Any standard English-language
"college"-size dictionary will have this info.  And some dictionaries will
also tell you that 'picnic' came into English before the middle of the 18th
century.  There is no connection with killing slaves.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt
Merriam-Webster, Inc.
47 Federal Street