In like Flynn; Run for the Roses; Yoot

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Jun 13 02:02:59 UTC 1999

    My Peter Tamony materials finally arrived.

IN LIKE FLYNN

FEBRUARY 6, 1943  Errol Flynn is acquitted of the statutory rape of two
teenage girls.  The incident spawns the expression "in like Flynn."
--LOS ANGELES magazine, June 1999, "THE SEX ISSUE!," "the sexual time line of
L. A.," pg. 72, col. 1.

     The RHHDAS has 1945 for "in like Flynn."

>From "Kathleen A. Tamony," 3 July 1940:
    "Your name is Flynn...you're in."
     Official of BILLY ROSES's "Aquacade"--Golden Gate International
Exposition (Tamony's wrong.  It's the New York 1939-40 World's Fair--ed.)--to
party of people, telling them that they would receive passes for 9 pm. show.

>From the SAN FRANCISCO EXAMINER, 8 February 1942, sports, pg. 2, col. 1:
     Answer these questions correctly and your name is Flynn, meaning you're
in, provided you have two left feet and the written consent of your parents.

>From the SAN FRANCISCO CALL-BULLETIN, 9 February 1943, pg. 7, col. 5:
     SEEMS AS though my guess about the derivation of the phrase, "I'm Flynn"
wasn't altogether correct.  I said it meant one was all set, ready, fixed,
etc.--and that's right.  But two correspondents, O. B. and John O'Reilly
agree that it began with some such phrase as "Well, I'm in like Flynn."
Finally, you were "in, Flynn."  Now it's just "I'm Flynn."  The reverse of
the phrase is not common, but it started with "I'm out like Stout," which was
shortened to "out, Stout" and is now "I'm Stout" (meaning things aren't so
good).

RUN FOR THE ROSES

     NY JOURNAL-AMERICAN sportswriter Bill Corum's obituary in the SAN
FRANCISCO EXAMINER, 17 December 1958, section II, pg. 5:

     Corum covered almost every running of the Kentucky Derby since 1924.
     The directors took 45 minutes to decide on Corum to run the track
(Churchill Downs--ed.) that Winn worked with nearly 50 years to bring to its
present status.
RUN FOR THE ROSES.
     Corum was the first sports writer in the country to call the Derby the
"run for the roses."

     Corum's Kentucky Derby reports beginning 1924 in the NEW YORK EVENING
JOURNAL were truly wonderful, but "run for the roses" is not there at that
early date.  I looked through 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1930, 1931,
and 1932.  I also checked Grantland Rice, Damon Runyan, and other writers.
    I'll check again.  Corum probably wrote "run for the roses" in the mid or
late 1930s.

YOOT

     From Tamony's card:

DO KIDS SPEAK ENGLISH?  Beulah Racklin.
     A "yoot" (youngster) who blurts out a big word...
THIS WEEK MAGAZINE, page 29/3.  Section of--
The San Francisco CHRONICLE, February 28th, 1954.