roughshod

Yongwei Gao 980074 at FUDAN.EDU.CN
Tue Jun 15 02:51:58 UTC 1999

Dear everyone,

When using the several college dictionaries I have, I found, to my surprise,
some inconsistencies among them. The one that I still have a clear
impression of is the treatment of "roughshod":
American Heritage and New World label it as an adjective and "ride roughshod
over" was used as an illustrative example; while the 10th Collegiate labels
it both as an adjective and an adverb and its adverb entry runs like this
"adv. in a roughshod manner <rode ~ over the opposition>".

Can anyone explain the difference?

Thanks.

Yongwei Gao
Fudan University, Shanghai