Dictionaries, Glossaries

James E. Clapp jeclapp at WANS.NET
Fri Jun 18 17:27:31 UTC 1999

Bethany K. Dumas wrote:

> A few days ago, I sought references to articles on the differences between
> dictionaries and glossaries. The only ref. I received was to the OED. In
> my presentation, I spoke of glossaries as "partial dictionaries." I remain
> interested in receiving references. (I have not yet checked back issues
> of the DSNA journal.)
>
> Bethany

John Robertson's latest newsletter,
http://www.wordexplorations.com/newsletter-8.html , contains a concise history
of dictionaries from the beginning of time up to the OED, beginning with a few
lines about how monks annotated books by noting the meanings of specific words
(presumably significant or obscure words) in the margins, which notes came to
be called glosses, whence the term "glossary" for a list of selected words
with brief definitions.

James E. Clapp