Word for the Wise on "doughboy"

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Thu Jun 24 12:15:11 UTC 1999

I'm forwarding a copy of this exchange to the editors who write "Word
for the Wise." Let me make it clear that I don't vet all the material
of this sort that Merriam-Webster now turns out.  If I did, I would have
little time to do anything else.  This boner would have caught my
attention.  I remember Jon Lighter telling me about his antedating of
<doughboy> about ten years ago, when I worked at Random House.

Jim Rader