Spanish and French words for pussy

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Thu Jun 24 14:27:13 UTC 1999

French is as much a written language to me as Latin, so I can
contribute no native intuitions, but I note that Herail and Lovatt's
_Dictionary of Modern Colloquial French_ (Routledge & Kegan Paul,
1984) gloss both <chat> and <chatte> as "pussy" = "vagina."  The
multivolume _Tresor de la langue francaise_ attribute the "sexe de la
femme" sense of <chat> to its homonymy with <chas> "eye of a
needle."  Herail and Lovatt also enter <chagatte> with the same sense
as <chat>/<chatte>, though there's no entry for this word in
_Tresor_.  Wartburg's _Franzoesisches etymologisches Woerterbuch_
notes the first appearance of the off-color sense of <chat> in a
19th-century _Dictionnaire erotique moderne_ by one A. Delvau;
no explanation for the meaning is offered.

Jim Rader