T.G.I.F.; Throw away the key; Bump in night; City hall; Promises; et al.

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Jun 25 08:41:19 UTC 1999

     Some crazy computer woke me up in the middle of the night with a
telephone call.  When I answered, it just beeped.
     I might as well post some more of what I have--while I'm mentally
refreshed.

T.G.I.F. (THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY) (continued)

     I posted this before, with Randy Roberts provided information from Peter
Tamony's files.  A check of the Periodical Contents Index turned up something
I missed.
     A book titled FRIDAY, THANK GOD was published in 1943.
    "Will Not Join the 'T.G.I.F.'" was published in the PERSONNEL JOURNAL,
July/August 1956, pg. 107.

THROW AWAY THE KEY (continued)

     The song "I'm gonna lock my heart (and throw away the key)" by Terry
Shand was published in 1938.
     I came across the NEW YORK TRIBUNE, 20 May 1915, pg. 14 headline:  "John
McGraw and His Men Leave the Cellar and Chuck the Key Away."

THINGS THAT GO BUMP IN THE NIGHT (continued)

     Why do all the titles for this start appearing in the 1950s?
     "Thing that go bump in the night" was the title of an article in PACIFIC
SPECTATOR, Winter/Autumn 1950, pg. 362.

GO FIGHT CITY HALL (continued)

     I can't believe I missed this.  Maybe I was looking for "You can't fight
city hall."
     GO FIGHT CITY HALL by Ethel Rosenberg was published in 1949.

PROMISES, PROMISES

     Titelman's RANDOM HOUSE DICTIONARY OF POPULAR PROVERBS AND SAYINGS
quotes Partridge's DICTIONARY OF CATCH PHRASES.  According to that book,
"promises, promises" turned up around 1970.  It was the title of a Neil Simon
musical then.
     The Periodical Contents Index shows a book review "Promises, Promises"
in CANADIAN LITERATURE, Autumn 1963, pg. 46.
      THE RHHDAS stopped at "o."

NO CURE, NO PAY

     THE CONCISE OXFORD DICTIONARY OF PROVERBS (2nd ed., 1992)--which
previously had the earliest "If ANYTHING can go wrong, it will" until this
week--states on the back cover "From _the more the merrier_ (1380) to
_Garbage in, garbage out_ (1964)."  I beat 'em on GIGO, too (see the
archives).
     I've been running some of its phrases through computer databases.
     "No cure, no pay" is cited from 1877.
     It's on the English Drama database, James Cobb's RAMAH DROOG (1800), Act
I, Scene IV.

TO KNOW ALL IS TO FORGIVE ALL

     The CODP's first English citation for "to know all is to forgive all" is
1908.
     It's in Richard Henry Hoine's PROMETHEUS, THE FIRE-BRINGER (1864), "To
know all, is to forgive."

MONEY ISN'T EVERYTHING

     The CODP has "money isn't everything" from a Eugene O'Neill play in 1927.
     The Periodicals Contents Index has VANITY FAIR, "Money Isn't
Everything," In & About the Theatre by Heywood Broun, September 1922, pg. 39.

PART OF THE SOLUTION OR PART OF THE PROBLEM?

     The CODP has "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the
problem" from 1975.
     The Periodical Contents Index shows "Are we part of the problem or of
the answer?" by Harry Emerson Fosdick, NEA BULLETIN, December 1943, pg. 621.

ACCIDENTS WILL HAPPEN

     The CODP has "accidents will happen" from 1763.  Burton Stevenson's
MACMILLAN BOOK OF PROVERBS, MAXIMS, AND FAMOUS PHRASES has this, something
almost like it by Publilius Syus (43 B.C.), and something else like it in
1590.
     The English Drama database has John Vanbrugh, THE PILGRIM (1700), Act
IV: "Accidents will happen sometimes, take what care we can."
     My personal first citation is musician Elvis Costello.

MERRIAM-WEBSTER'S "WORDS TO THE WISE"

     AOL has Merriam-Webster's "Words to the Wise" indexed in its reference
section.  I ran through a few etymologies that I did that were printed in the
RHHDAS.  M-W didn't have them.
    If people ask questions on this list or of me personally, I'm happy to
help.  But when a professional site like this misses simple professional
sources--I can't be their employee for free.  Usually, they ignore me, anyway.