"hector " as a verb

Gerald Cohen gcohen at UMR.EDU
Fri Jun 25 22:51:57 UTC 1999

what Eric Partridge  says (_Name Into Word_, 1970 reprint of 2nd edition,
1950):

     "HECTOR---...A hector is a bully, a blusterer, to hector is to bully
to browbeat, to bluster: and formerly at least the noun was spelt with a
capital initial, in deference to the unwitting originator, Hector, who, the
son of Priam and Hecuba, was the Trojan hero of Homer's _Iliad_, where he
is represented as the leader of the forces besieged in Troy and as being
killed by Achilles.  In Homer, Hector is not a bullying braggart, and in
English literature of the 14th-early 17th Centuries, his name stands for 'a
gallant warrior':  the derogatory conception of his charater dates from the
latter 17th Century, when the Hectors, a gang of disorderly young fellows
that fancied themselves as very Hectors, disturbed the streets of London
with their hooliganism;  popular drama took up this topical cue. ..."

 ----Gerald Cohen

gcohen at umr.edu