"pastrami"

Victoria Neufeldt vneufeldt at M-W.COM
Mon Jun 28 12:48:15 UTC 1999

Not only is Larry's suggestion plausible, it is in fact pretty well what the
Webster's New World Dict (3rd College ed, 1988) has.  I don't remember the
details, but I THINK that was new for the 3rd ed, and it was probably David
Gold who researched it.

Victoria

Victoria Neufeldt, Merriam-Webster, Inc.
47 Federal Street, P.O. Box 281
Springfield, MA  01102
Tel. (413) 734-3134 ext 124
Fax  (413) 827-7262