"pastrami"

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Mon Jun 28 19:51:29 UTC 1999

I'd have to agree with Prof. Dankoff. All the dictionaries I have at my
disposal, Hony & Iz Turkish-English Dictionary, Redhouse Yeni
Turkce-Ingilizce Sozluk, the old Redhouse dictionary of Ottoman Turkish
and the Redhouse Cagdas Turkce-Ingilizce Sozlugu-- all give the meaning of
kulbasdi (umlaut over the u, undotted i) as meaning variously a
cutlet, grilled cutlet or simply grilled meat. Perhaps the "basdir-"
element refers to a flattened or even pounded piece of meat, like a
schnitzel.
I think the common Turkish word for sausage is "sucuk" which the Okyanus
dictionary lists as "eski Turk." that is an old, native Turkish word.

Allen