"pastrami"/kielbasa

Karl J. Krahnke krahnke at LAMAR.COLOSTATE.EDU
Tue Jun 29 15:54:03 UTC 1999

In a suburb of Detroit in the 1950s, /kabasa/ was widely used somewhat
derisively for sausage in a Polish context.  Sine we did not eat it then I do
not know what food item it was supposed to refer to.  There were three
ethnic/national groups in town - Poles, Italians, and other N. Europeans.
When the public hs played football against the Polish Catholic hs, the
mocking cheer was:

    Boomarasa, boomarasa, hit 'em in the head with a big kabasa.

(That's /a/ as in "cot."  A little rhyming evidence for .....)

Karl Krahnke