mayo

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Tue Jun 29 12:18:02 UTC 1999

Though not a clipping from an older word, <egg cream> is another
culinary item that has a surprisingly late date in Merriam files:
1954.  DARE has only more recent cites.  But I've just noticed that
the OED Additions Series v. 2 pushes <egg cream> WAY back--with cites
from 1947 (Irving Shulman), 1906 (from a periodical called _Soda
Fountain_??), and 1841for what may have been the original egg cream.
Still seems like there must be lots of cites from in between out
there.  But kudos to whoever collected the pre-1954 cites.

Jim Rader