-Ish

Grant Barrett gbarrett at AMERICANDIALECT.ORG
Mon May 3 14:06:07 UTC 1999

Regarding our earlier conversation about the suffix "ish."

A woman I used to work with published a book a few years ago called "Taxi
Driver Wisdom." It's a clever-looking, well-designed little book with
quotes from New York City cab drivers, some wise, some not.

One page is headed "A History Lesson" and says"

"England, that was called Britannia. Then the Jewish tribes cam in and
they were Yiddish and they used a lot of 'ish' so they called them the
British."

(This is the same book that has the quote "The mouth is th most dangerous
part of a person.")