Ethnic Cleansing

Jim Rader jrader at M-W.COM
Wed May 5 09:22:02 UTC 1999

I don't want to cast aspersions on either Don Lance, for whom I have
much respect as a linguist, or Don's friend John, but this is an
oversimplified and in some places distorted and inaccurate (e.g., the
pre-WWII percentage of Serbs in the Vojvodina) picture of
a very complex series of events.  Ethnically based putdowns ("the
Croats and Slovenes were better craftsmen") are typical of the
prejudices that have been a major factor in creating the nightmare of
the last eight years. Even if I had the time to present a balanced
picture (which I don't, so I'm not tempted), I wouldn't, though.
ADS-L is not the place for a discussion of Balkan history and
politics.  Several other lists I'm on that  have nothing to do with
the Balkans have experienced serious disruptions due to arguments
over Kosovo, NATO, etc.  Let's stick to American English.

Jim Rader