Brooklyn-New Orleans-... accent -Forwarded

Herbert F. W. Stahlke hstahlke at ECICNET.ORG
Sat May 8 03:07:09 UTC 1999

That would explain an odd moment in American Tongues, which I used a couple
of weeks ago in my Language and Society class.  At one point, three women
are speaking, and the caption says "New Orleans," but a student who comes
from just north of NO and I both thought it sounded more like New York.

Herb Stahlke

>If my understanding an memory are correct, a bunch of similarities are
>found in the speech of:  New York City (and area), New Orleans,
>Boston, and Baltimore.  (And possibly Charleston.)
>
>Is it relevant that these are all seaports, and all (except possibly
>Charleston) had a noticeable number of immigrants from Ireland?
>
>Dan Goodman
>dsgood at visi.com
>http://www.visi.com/~dsgood/index.html
>Whatever you wish for me, may you have twice as much.

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Professor of English
Ball State University
Muncie, IN  47306