1943 Army Slang Dictionary (Part 3)

Gregory {Greg} Downing gd2 at IS2.NYU.EDU
Tue May 11 03:51:55 UTC 1999

At 11:27 PM 5/10/99 EDT, you wrote:
>     This is from ARMY TIMES, 30 October 1943....

The whole list -- A to Z -- was fascinating, Barry. Most of the entries are
pretty comprehensible, but the three listed below didn't "click" for me on a
first reading. Anyone have any possible explanations for these?

>SIDE MEAT--Well pleased. [???]

>TURKSHEAD McGUIRK--Man skilled in tying knots. [is this a radio character
or something??? or does "turkshead" simply mean "knot," and the last name is
nothing more than a cute rhyme?]

>YEHUDI--The little man who cracks you on the back of the head with a
mallet. [pop-cultural allusion????? otherwise, I'm clueless, other than to
note that it's a Jewish name]

Greg Downing/NYU, at greg.downing at nyu.edu or gd2 at is2.nyu.edu