German orthography over here

Bernard W. Kane bkane at TIGGER.JVNC.NET
Fri May 14 04:46:19 UTC 1999

Speaking of that German type character "ess-tset" (didn't know it had a
name; thanks) did anybody else spot its unprecedented appearance in TIME,
issue of May 17, in art. about Secy Albright, on p. 32 of my edition, col. 1
l. 13, which reads "before cameras early in the L[B]ewinsky" (where [B]
stands in for that ess-tset). I've asked TIME's staff if they can guess how
that happened; will advise the ADS-L if they respond. (it' s a standard,
even if less-used, ASCII character: No. 225: but where was their spell
checking, to say nothing of proof reading?)

Bernie Kane
sadly, no academic association